MFT Clinical Exam Study System Key Features:
- An organized, step-by-step study plan to help prepare to pass the MFT Clinical Exam
- On-line audio workshops with downloadable HANDOUTS
- Complete review of essential content areas for the MFT California Clinical Exam
- Effective study tools designed by California Marriage and Family Therapists who have passed the MFT California Clinical Exam by 90% or higher: Top 50 Topics Tested, Law & Ethics Quiz, DSM 5 & Theory Review
- Clinical Marriage and Family Therapy examples that help you learn instead of memorize
- Essential test-taking strategies you can use on exam day
- 850+ ON-LINE MFT practice exam questions with audio rationales
- Test anxiety management tools
- Experience MFT test prep coaches available for questions and support
This study program is designed to maximize learning and minimize stress. The course takes approximately 65 hours to complete once and can be repeated as needed. Access is set for 6 months, but extensions are FREE. We are with you until you pass the LMFT exam!
MFT Clinical Exam Prep FAQs
What is the Average Pass Rate for the California Clinical MFT Exam?
The BBS publishes the pass rates for all licensing exams in their quarterly Board Meeting materials. The most recent data available shows the pass rate for first time test takers of the California Clinical MFT Exam in the first half of 2018 was over 70%. Since the new MFT Clinical Exam was launched in 2016, Therapist Development Center pass rate has remained above 90% for individuals who used our comprehensive program!
What is the structure of the MFT Clinical Exam?
The MFT Clinical Exam is a standardized 170 question multiple-choice question test. 150 of the test questions are scored, and 20 are experimental and do not count toward your final score. Test takers are granted 4 hours to complete the exam questions. Accommodations for additional time can be requested through the BBS for English as a Second Language (ESL) test takers and those with physical or mental health issues who qualify through the Americans with Disabilities Act.
What is the passing score on the MFT Clinical Exam?
The BBS no longer publishes the passing score for any of their exams, including the MFT Clinical Exam. However, based on the published scores that were shared in prior years, the passing score was typically in the range of 97-103 out of 150 scored questions (mid-60%). The passing score will fluctuate up or down based on the level of difficulty; the passing score will be lower if the exam is considered harder and higher if it is considered easier. In addition to the 150 scored questions, the MFT Clinical Exam will always include 20 questions that are considered experimental and will not count toward your final score.
What is the application processing time for the California Clinical MFT Exam?
The application processing time for the California Clinical MFT Exam can vary based on volume of applications and staffing levels at the BBS. In recent months, the BBS has kept processing time for the MFT California Clinical Exam down to 1-2 months. If you are applying for accommodations (see below), processing times can vary and it is important to begin this process as soon as you submit your application for the MFT Clinical Exam.
How do I apply for accommodations with the BBS?
The BBS provides accommodations for the California Clinical MFT Exam. If you have a physical or mental health disability you may request accommodations such as additional time, a private room, or a written version of the exam. The BBS will determine which accommodations you qualify for based on the information provided in your request for testing accommodations application. The BBS also provides additional time (time and a half, 6 hours) for the MFT Clinical Exam for English as a Second Language (ESL) applicants who meet the requirements enumerated on the ESL accommodations application.
What information is tested on the California Clinical MFT Exam?
The MFT Clinical Exam covers a broad range of subjects including treatment, treatment planning, law and ethics, clinical evaluation, and crisis management. Not only do you need to know the subject matters, the BBS wants to ensure you know how to apply this knowledge in different clinical situations. The majority of questions on the MFT Clinical Exam are considered reasoning-based questions. Therapist Development Center’s program provides a streamlined approach, teaching you the all of the information you need to learn and how to apply this knowledge to the questions that are likely to appear on the exam.
When will I be eligible to take the California MFT Clinical Exam?
The MFT Clinical Exam is the final step on the path to licensure. The following requirements must be satisfied to be eligible to sit for the California MFT Clinical Exam:
- Obtain qualifying master’s degree and complete additional coursework
- Completion of 3,000 hours of experience over the course of 104 weeks or more
- Take and pass the CA Law and Ethics Exam (once you pass, you do not need to take the exam again)
- Submit application for licensure and examination to the BBS: https://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/forms/mft/mftapp.pdf
- You must take the exam within one year from the date you receive initial approval. If you do not complete the exam in this timeframe, your application will be considered abandoned. If an application is abandoned, you would need to re-apply and would lose any hours of experience that are more than six (6) years old (with exception of 500 hours accrued as trainee)
What do I do once I successfully PASS the California MFT Clinical Exam?
- Celebrate this awesome achievement!
- Submit application for your initial license.
- Continue receiving supervision until your license is issued.