Obtaining Your Ohio Social Work License
Are you looking to get your Ohio Social Work License? Then you’ve come to the right place. We can help provide a step-by-step process to aid you on your journey to become an Ohio LCSW / LISW. But it’s also a good idea to check with the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board as they are the governing body that regulates these state licenses. You can check out their website here, or call (614) 466-0912. But if you just received your MSW, then let’s take a look...
STEP 2 - Gain Your Supervised Work Experience
- In the past, Ohio Social Work license candidates would take the Clinical licensing exam before accruing hours, but in 2016 the Ohio CSWMFT Board made a change to the requirements. Applicants must now work a minimum of two (2) years post-MSW and post-LSW experience with 150 hours of documented training supervision by an LISW-S (This title indicated a Licensed Independent Social Worker who has earned a supervisor designation).
- Supervision should average one hour of individual or group supervision for every 20 hrs of work, with a minimum of 150 total hours of supervision for the 3,000 hours of supervised social work practice.
- If you are only practicing part-time, you may not credited with more than 1,500 hours of experience during any 12-month period. If you have more than 1,500 hours during your first 12 months, the excess cannot be carried over to the next 12 month period. On the other hand, if you have not completed your first 1,500 hours within the first 12 months, then the time period to complete those hours is extended until you do complete 1,500 hours. You can then begin the second 1,500 hours, which can take over a year but must be for a minimum of 12 months.
- Once hours are complete, supervisors must submit a Professional Employment Reference Form in order for applications to be full processed.
STEP 3 - Apply for the Ohio LISW license
- When your supervisor submits your forms, you can then begin the application process.
- First create an account with eLicense Ohio Professional Licensure by clicking here.
- Once your account is created, you will need to pay the $100 application fee (plus $3.50 processing fee), and then complete the Licensed Independent Social Worker application forms on the site.
- If the Board does not have your MSW/MSSA transcripts on file, have your school submit official transcripts,showing your degree conferred, directly to the board. You can have your transcript emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will be required to view the Board's online Laws and Rules video: http://cswmft.ohio.gov/Laws-Rules-Video. This is a review of the Board’s rules and ethics requirements, and will help you understand your responsibilities as a licensee.
- Lastly, you must complete the BCI and FBI background checks: http://cswmft.ohio.gov/BCIFBIBackgroundChecks.aspx. Background checks are valid for one year once completed.
STEP 4 - Register for the ASWB Clinical Level Exam
- Phew, almost there! With your application submitted and processed, you will receive a pre-approval email from Ohio CSWMFT Board instructing you to contact the Association of Social Work Board (ASWB) to pay the examination fee of $260.
- Then once you pay for the test, contact Pearson VUE to find a test location and select your exam date/time.
STEP 5 - Study with TDC and Ace the Exam!
- Now with your exam date scheduled, it’s time to start studying! Therapist Development Center (TDC) has created an “all-you-need” program to help you pass the exam with confidence. While we cover all essential content areas, we shift away from memorization and bombardment of information, to focusing on how one should think about the exam and what each question is asking. Check out more on our program and hear what others have said about it by clicking here.
Congratulations on passing the exam and becoming a Licensed Independent Social Worker in the state of Ohio! Best of luck on your career in improving the lives of others.