Earn Your New York Social Work License
The governing social work board in NY is the New York State Office of the Professions. You will apply through them to gain your New York State Social Work License. As always, we can help provide a set of guidelines to follow, but it’s always wise to connect directly with NYSOP to make sure you are on the right path. You can click here to visit their website, or call them at 518-474-3817.
As you complete Step 1 and gain your MSW, the state of New York also requires candidates to complete coursework or additional training on Child Abuse Identification and Reporting from a New York Board approved provider. If the program is not registered in New York, the board will require additional documentation. For more information on this and to see a list of approved providers, click here.
STEP 2 - Apply for the Master’s Level Exam
- The first thing you must do is fill out and submit the LMSW exam application. Candidates must have:
- Good moral character as determined by the NYSOP
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Meet the education requirements
- Meet the examination requirements
- Complete course work on Child Abuse
- Click Here for more detail
- The fee for registration is $294, so don’t forget to include your check. If you decide to withdraw your application you may qualify for a partial refund.
- Once your registration has been accepted, contact the ASWB to schedule your exam date.
STEP 3 - Study and Pass the ASWB Master Level Exam (LMSW)
- Once you have your exam date, begin your studies with TDC’s LMSW Exam: ASWB Master Level exam prep. This program has help thousands of New Yorkers earn their New York State social work license, and you’re next!
STEP 4 - Qualify for the LCSW and Accrue Hours
- Congratulations on earning your LMSW! Now it’s time to gain the work experience necessary to earn your social work license in New York.
- During your CSWE-Accredited Masters Program, you should have taken 12 semester hours of clinical courses. If you did not, you will need to make up for these now.
- You must complete 2000 client contact hours over a continuous period of at least 36 months (3 years) and not to exceed 6 calendar years. The supervised experience must be in:
- Assessment Based Treatment Planning
- The practice site must be an acceptable setting as defined by New York law, and one’s supervisor must be a clinical social worker, psychologist, or psychiatrist. If a qualified supervisor is not present at the site location, the candidate must contact a third-party supervisor.
- Client contact and supervision should be recorded in a psychotherapy log, which can be found here.
- Once you’ve completed your education and experience requirements, complete the LCSW application and submit it with your licensing check for $294.
STEP 5 - Study, study, study
- Got your exam date? Great, you’re very close to being a New York State LCSW. Now it’s time to begin your studies using TDC’s LCSW Exam Prep: ASWB Clinical Level Exam program. We offer a fantastic and proven system to help you pass your exam. No need for other programs, you only need this one.
CONGRATULATIONS! You’ve earned your New York State Social Work License. Pat yourself on the back, you’re now an LCSW! We wish you the very best on your career.