Earn Your Maine Social Work License
Although small in population, Maine has one of the highest social workers per capita in the country, and we’re here to walk you through the steps on what it takes to becomes a Maine LCSW. Also check with the Maine State Board of Social Work Licensure (under the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation) as they oversee the licensing program, and always a good idea to connect directly with the source. But to help explain exactly what you’ll need to do, we’ve outlined it all here.
STEP 2 - Apply for your LMSW Clinical Conditional Licensure
- After graduation from your MSW, you must get your Maine LMSW Clinical Conditional license, so you can begin to accrue work hours towards your LCSW. So the first thing to do is fill out the state application which includes:
- You will need to pay a $25 application fee, a $70 licensure fee, and a $21 criminal history check fee.
- An official transcript from your CSWE-accredited school
- Request for Examination (Masters) - included in application
- Agreement to Provide Consultation Form - included in application
- Official document of successful passing of the ASWB Master level exam...
- The next step is contacting the ASWB and register for the ASWB Masters Exam which also includes a $230 registration fee and a $25 application fee. Once registered, contact Pearson VUE to find a test center near you and select your exam date.
- Know once you submit your LMSW Clinical Conditional application form, you will have one year to pass the LMSW exam or you will need to re-apply and pay all fees again.
- And then… start studying! Using TDC’s LMSW Exam Prep: ASWB Masters Level Exam program you will find an organized and highly effective system that gives you all you need to pass this exam on the first try. Just click on the link to read some of the reviews from previous clients.
STEP 3 - Accrue Hours towards your Maine LCSW License
- Now with your LMSW - Condition Clinical, you can perform psychosocial evaluation, engage in diagnosis and treatment of mental illness and emotional disorders, with required LCSW/CSW-IP supervision, as well as provide consultation to LSWs.
- In Maine, you must have two (2) years / 3,200 hours of supervised social work experience and 96 hours of consultation in clinical social work.
- If you have an MSW with a non-clinical concentration you must complete four (4) years / 6,400 hours of social work experience with 192 hours of consultation.
- Once you complete your hours, fill out the LCSW state application. You will need to pay all the required fees again (same as LMSW-Conditional)
- Once your application has been processed, it’s time to take the final exam…
STEP 4 - Pass the ASWB Clinical Exam and Become an Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Just as you did for the Master exam, contact the ASWB and register for the Clinical level exam (which includes a $260 fee), and then Pearson VUE to find you test location and exam date.
- Once you have your date, check out TDC’s LCSW Exam Prep: ASWB Clinical Level Exam program to give you the best preparation for taking this exam. We’ve helped tens of thousands of social workers pass their exam with confidence and you’re next! If you used us for the Masters, then you know not to look any further.
Congratulations!! You’ve earned your Maine social work license and are a proud LCSW! We wish you the best in a wonderful career helping others.